Saturday, January 23, 2010

Nafiza: Global Kids Role Model

In this video, Nafiza is an 18 year old student who lives in New York. She is a very interesting and intelligent young adult. She is good with things such as Teen Second Life and Flickr. She is a role model in that she goes above and beyond her duties as a student by helping classmates and being involved with positive groups such as Global Kids, a group that ispires urban children.






My most significant take away from this video is probably the impact that technology is actually having on "urban" youth. I now know that just about anyone can have access to inspiring sites such as Global Kids, and in all I believe technology may help keep some of these youth in a positive state of mind.

This video connects with me in that I was a very shy child/ young adult, who had problems with socializing. I wish I had access to technological resources, and knew about sites such as teen second life so I could have been a bit more involved socially.

The main implication of this video that i would use in my own teaching practice would be using technology to help inspire young children who may be lacking in socialization skills and/or children who are of a lower socioeconomic status and need inspiration.


2 comments:

  1. Great job with your links and embedding the video!

    I don't think many adults today understand the socializing value of online spaces like SL. I have just dabbled in SL myself, and not for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed readeing your post. I can relate to waht you were saying as far a being shy as a youth. I was very shy around large groups during my Elementary and Middle School years. Even part of High School I was a little timid. It's one of those things where it's better late than never. Tecnology is a sure fire way to help someone come out of there shell.

    ReplyDelete