Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Wikis: Doing Away With The Rip Van Winkle Effect.

The main takeaway from this video being that I am fairly inexperienced when it comes to using a wiki would be the idea that when we are planning to use wikis as teachers, student engagement and collaborations need to be a top priority in order to keep our kids interested, and from from basically falling into a "Rip Van Winkle" like dormant stage when it comes to learning. I must completely agree that if we simply have our students "going through motions" while they are using a wiki, that they are not benefiting to their full potential. The idea that children and adults alike will do better with just about everything when they are actually interested and engaged is not new, but i think it is great how Paula White correlated learning success with this idea when it comes to wikis. Another important point was that we should let students collaborate on wikis with students as well as the teacher. When doing this, you are definitely keeping the students engaged for one, and you are also creating an environment of shared understanding and diversity.




In my own experience, I can tell you that I have never had a teacher attempt to use an educational wiki for shared and or collaborative learning. I think I would have benefited because I was always a smart kid, but I was constantly getting bored because I was just "going through motions". If I would have been allowed to collaborate more when learning with both my peers and my teacher, I believe that I would have had both improved education, as well as an improved disciplinary record.

In the end, the most important thing I learned that I would have to implement into my classroom are a basic set of ideas when it comes to forming wikis that are collaborative and engaging, which can be seen on the site called Wikithink. It outlines some useful question to think about and explore. In my opinion this site serves as a wonderful basis for questions to consider about your wiki as an educator

No comments:

Post a Comment